Monday, December 19, 2011

winter warm-ups

This winter has definitely been more bearable than most in NYC weather-wise ... but the temp is finally dropping and I find myself looking for accessories that will do double-duty: both dress + warm me up this season.

Scarves are my go-to accessory year-round, but I especially love to switch them up--kind of like a pick me up over my (same old) go-to winter coat. Etsy is absolutely amazing for hand-made and one-of-a-kind scarves and wraps - the kind you will want to leave on long after you've shed your gloves and hat.

This EcoShag "super chunky" infinity is my most recent favorite find . . .
. . . while these wool + leather combo snoods from RunSystem63 are perfect for adding a touch of style to an otherwise drab look. Plus they're made out of 100% soft wool and can be unsnapped, wrapped once or twice (as they are shown in all the photos here).  


I love the ingeneous designs and amazing textures, and (with winter knits, it's actually true) the bigger, the better.


Speaking of which, I cannot get over these giant handknit scarves by Tallulah G. She had me at "100% super soft chunky merino wool," but what really made me fall in love is the leather buckle detail.  

This one is ten feet long and hand made to order, with a real leather clasp that makes the whole look totally customizable. The neutral yarn and leather color combinations mean there is definitely one ready to complete your winter ensemble.

If you love the look but not the price tag, or are just looking for a cool + practical DYI this winter, you need to get your hands on a knit kit from Wool and the Gang - the coolest thing to happen to knitting like, maybe, ever. They have everything you need - and need to know - in order to knit yourself everything from sweaters to scarves to headbands and every thing in between. Check it out:
[via]
 [via]

It sounds like such a good idea, and judging by the success of WATG, it definitely is.  Just don't get too carried away ... and, of course, have fun! Grandma would be proud.

[via]

No comments: